Luckily I discovered another-- I think better-- option for dorm bedding from a young company called American Made Dorm. Here is what the company president, Caroline Eager, told me about her Louisville, Kentucky-based business:
“American Made Dorm will celebrate its first year in business in September. All of our products - 100% - are made in America. Our mill (Victor Mill) is in Greenville, South Carolina, and we get our fabric from Mississippi. The comforters are completely manufactured, sewn, and filled in our mill with fabric that is printed in Mississippi and fill that is made in North Carolina. Our towels are from 1888 Mills, made in Griffin, Georgia, and our sheets from Mayfield Manufacturing. Our rugs from Milliken (South Carolina, “Crafted with pride in the USA"), our mattress pads and toppers from Louisville Bedding, made in both Kentucky and South Carolina, and our wall pops are made in Massachusetts! “
I took the plunge and ordered the American Dorm Bundle from American Made Dorm, and did a direct comparison of the two company’s offerings for myself (see below for the details). The American Made Dorm set was about $100 more than the set from RHL, but came with 2 sets of plush 1888 Mills towels, higher thread count sheets, and a much nicer comforter with matching pillow sham, decorative pillow and laundry bag.
Bottom Line: If you can afford the extra money (remember this should last for years), then I definitely recommend the American Made Dorm products as much nicer quality and truly made in USA.
All American Collection from Residence Hall Linens: $190
- Pillows: 2 Standard size, filled with polyester fill, Filled in USA, cover made in Pakistan
- Twin XL sheets: 2 sets, 60/40 cotton/polyester, 200 thread count, Made in USA by Thomaston Mills (Thomaston, GA)
- Mattress Pad, Twin XL: Made in USA of imported and USA materials by Louisville Bedding Co. (Louisville, KY)
- Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Made in USA
- Towels: 2 bath, 1 hand, 1 wash cloth, 100 percent cotton, Soft, but thin. Made in USA (no manufacturer name)
- Comforter: 100 percent polyester, Slippery, not cozy. Made in Pakistan
American Made Dorm: Cost $299
- Pillows: 1 Decorative, Color matches comforter trim. Expressly Made for American Made Dorm, Made in USA by Victor Mill, Inc. (Greenville, SC)
- Twin XL sheets: 1 set, 100 percent cotton, 300 count, Silky feel. Made in USA by Mayfield Manufacturing (Thomson, GA)
- Mattress Pad, Twin XL: Beautyrest microfiber mattress pad, 200 thread count. Made in USA of imported and USA materials by Louisville Bedding Co. (Louisville, KY)
- Towels: 2 bath, 2 hand, 2 wash cloths. 100 percent ring spun cotton loops, Thick and soft! Millennium by 1888 Mills, Made in USA
- Comforter: 100 percent cotton duck, Expressly Made for American Made Dorm, Made in USA by Victor Mill, Inc. (Greenville, SC)
- Pillow Sham and Laundry bag made from fabric to match comforter, 100 percent cotton duck, by Victor Mill.
[Disclosure: I have no affiliation with either of these companies other than as a customer.]
Stephanie, Webmaster and Mom